20 June 2005

Say hello to 'Spike,' or I bought a toy...

For the past 4 or 5 vehicles and almost every year, I have been stricken with a severe case of 'Spring Fever' and have gone looking to purchase a new car - or as in recent years - have denied the call of spring that regularly occurs during the month of March.

This year it raised it's ugly head but I ran and hid, teeth gritted and all. I lost the fight this past week. So what? [she says], at least this time I waited till June. Although, to be honest, one of my co-workers said that he knew I was figeting.

But at least this time, I didn't trade anything in - which is a first.

The last two vehicles have been Toyota's. So is this one... I can SAY that I bought it for practical reasons - which I did - but it's also a toy.

It's a 'not shiny and new' but dinged and scraped,'working in the field' 1988 Toyota 4WD pickup longbed with mud wheels. It has some cosmetic issues that I will work on, but I don't really care. It's cute and as of this evening - it's paid for.

Now, you may consider it trite, but 4WD and mud wheels are important. Someone that my sister knows marvels at what they see as Floridians fixation on 4WD. Well, there is a reason.

After the third hurricane, with all the rain that saturated Central Florida, the Green Swamp - aquifer for the middle of the state overflowed. There is a sepage spring, for lack of a better term, on the property to the north and it is influenced - as are the wetlands to the west, by the Green Swamp. To cut to the chase - I had a lake in the back and the swamp to the west was coming in to join the spring in turning my yard to mush. So... mud tires are important.

My car history is interesting at best. Not counting the Corvair that my parents bought for me [they said] but refused to let me drive alone and the loaner from a mother-in-law of a 1969 Mustang Ghia during my first Army school, I have owned: 1973 VW Thing; 1979 Fiat X19; 1982 Audi 4000 sedan [diesel]; 1985 Subaru XT Coupe; 1989 Isuzu Trooper, 1991 Toyota 4Runner and my current 1995 Previa van. Looks like the selection process has finally leveled out - but I would love to have a VW Thing again. Perhaps Spike will cure me of that.

Back to the present and Spike: I got to test drive it in 2WD and play with it in a sand pit in 4WD... inst and amongst the owner's family cattle who laid there thinking 'Now, that's a picture... but what the hell are they doing?'

I brought it home today and then had to go back to work... The first three days of the week are brutal. I will get it titled and tagged on Friday and then take it in to get it checked by my mechanic when I get time. But, the way it ran for me in 2/4WD I have no real concerns. . . but it's the newest baby here so it gets special treatment and the 'elder-by-mileage' gets to take a break a couple of days a week.

Driving it home on a state highway [with no plates, but insurance] was a bit dicey, but it was only a mile away. I waited till the stream cleared and then launched it into the road... It can definately accellerate and cruise.

So, as of this moment, it sits in my front pasture - tonight when I get home I will move it to the front of the house, take off the front tag, clean it out and give it it's new steering wheel cover. It will sit in the front yard till Friday when I get it plated. We will see if it goes to work with me...

No comments: