03 June 2005

Everything happens for a reason...

Boy, has it been a while since I have had the time to take to write thoughts down!

On the mosaic front I have completed the last of the EBSQ pieces that I had planned at the beginning of the year and the publishing of the show schedule. My newest work, the 3D ‘The Savage [beast]’ and Jessica are entered in EBSQs ‘Tangible’ show which is in voting phase.

Other than that, I am almost finished with the birdbath I said I would make for the kind kennel owner … she has NO IDEA what she is getting. I bought a second base when I bought hers so I can have one for myself someday. I think I can actually get around to going back to work on ‘the elf’ … now that’s a reward.

I have made a major change… several actually, but what is relevant here is that I have decided after last year’s 3X “pickup and scurry” … [read: hurricanes] that I would take a break and go completely mobile. Dragging the tower, its cords, and my monitor in and out was a real pain. There was no such problem with my lovely little Mac iBook – a Firewire clam, but as everything else I do revolves around PCs… I went with a new laptop [keeping the Mac because it has a DVD player and to keep my hand relatively close to MacWorld].

So, what you see is being typed out on my new [to me] refurbished Compac Armada 20 gig laptop that has ALL the muscle that my tower has – or had minus a CD burner. After the major thunderstorm earlier this week [recounted below], said tower has been plagued with problems so the purchase of Mr. BeepBeep was timely.

I will be taking pieces/parts off the tower – programs, files … things of that nature – and then take it and perhaps the monitor [a sweet 15 inch ViewSonic flatscreen] over to the place I got the laptop and use it to pay for enhancements to BeepBeep once I have everything I need off of it. I definitely need a CD burner and to have the RAM maxed out … and other things I am sure I have not thought of yet.

The night after I bought the laptop I was moving programs and files – working on battery and I lost power due to a mother of a thunderstorm, dropped once, then twice in a row … if the tower was having minor problems before – it definitely has them now. Though, nothing that a little “format C colon wouldn’t fix. At least … so far.

Other things have changed. I have finally gotten down to committing to renovate or obliterate my little ’50s era Cracker house… so I have gone to the point of purchasing an onsite steel storage container [40 feet worth] so I can FINALLY get everything that needs to stored – stored. When I first moved down here after retiring… I used the little house as a storage unit for all my household goods. Those got sorted out and then I decided to move in it. THEN I discovered that the son of the owner had used particle board as a floor base. Brilliant. So, I moved out and have been stuck between the house and the mobile home since because I needed storage space so I can clear out everything that I can in both so I can renovate and repair both… If this isn’t a dictionary definition of a ‘vicious circle’ I don’t know what is.

Anyway, the storage container will only be storage for a short while… I plan to make it a studio, especially since on one of my sisters and my travels, we found a 22 inch +/- commercial kiln for sale [$50 for it and all its furniture – how could we loose] so she bought it. She has one already… this one is going to be mine to play with. First thing in it will be shelving units... then everything else.

As I sit here and put this all down, the tower computer is doing everything it can to avoid coming up. Well, no … here it is. No, it locked up again. As it looks right now, the storm toasted the CD burner so I think it’s time to go get at least a 512 USB jump drive.

If you have never tried one of those – called a memory stick to some – USB bulk transfer devices to others – you should really check them out. One of the things that this laptop does not have is a floppy drive. A 256 MB jump drive is equal to 177 [give or take] floppies… Now that is some room to move. Wish I could find mine ...

I remember when that was more memory than my hard drive had ... well, now the CD burner is back on line … Looks like I will have to make moving everything a priority for the next few days.

So that is enough for this point in time … If you are so inclined ... go look at the new piece on EBSQ. Ta.

No comments: